Electrical issues cause more than half of all home fires, largely avoidable. Most electrical fires are hidden away inside the walls of a home. But even if you’re aware how to recognize the warning signs, often you can still make more costly and proactive repairs which will help safeguard your house in the future. Most of the time, it is easy to prevent a fire from happening in the first place. Here are some common electrical issues that can cause fires:
– Faulty Wiring: Electrical fires usually start because there is an electrical issue with your wiring. One way to check if your wiring needs attention is to look for a loose wire. Loose wires can often lead to fires because they can be easily overheated and fried. Look for loose wires near light fixtures, faucets, outlets and other potentially problematic areas. If you find any, address the problem right away, before the fire grows too large.
– Poor Electrical Circuits: Another common electrical issue is poor wiring or broken wires. Wires play a very important role in your home’s electricity system so if they’re not in good working order, you have a major risk of electrical fires. To address this problem, have your electrician check your main electricity supply lines and outlets.
– Flickering Lights: A flicker is a serious warning sign of an electrical issue. Your living room is no place for flickering lights. It is very difficult to see when a light is flicking on or off. Flickering lights are one of the most common electrical issues experienced by homeowners. One way to avoid electrical issues caused by flickers is to keep your lights as dim as possible.
– Leakages: Leaks are also one of the more common electrical problems experienced by homeowners. Leakages are very common in the attic, under the roof and around sinks and pipes. If you detect a leak, address it right away. You can call electricians to shut the leak or fix the issue yourself.
– Sudden Power Outages: The surge in electricity is a very serious issue. If you experience sudden power outages, you must contact your electricians immediately. They will shut the power to your entire house and fix whatever is damaged. Common electrical issues resulting from power surges include shorts, tripped switches and overloaded outlets.
– Excessive Appliances Failure: If your appliances experience a large amount of consumption without any indication of a breakdown, this could be a sign of an electrical issue. It is best that you repair such appliances right away. Some electrical issues experienced by appliances are overloading and water leaks. You should not ignore such issues as these can lead to severe damages on your appliances.
– Light Bulb Breakage: Most people have lightbulbs installed in their homes. A lightbulb can become damaged due to different factors. However, most common electrical issues experienced by lightbulbs include breaks, shorts and connection problems. If you have a light bulb problem, make sure you contact a professional electrician and have the problem fixed. These are some of the most common electrical issues experienced by consumers.
– Insufficient Wiring: Most electrical problems occur within the wiring system of a home or office. The wiring of a home or office usually involves a complex set of wires that connects various electrical appliances together. Poor wiring can cause a lot of inconvenience particularly to those who have limited knowledge in wiring. You can ask around for a reliable and experienced electrical contractor. If you’re not sure where to find a good contractor, you can ask your friends, family members and co-workers for a referral.
– Unplugging Appliances: Homeowners often forget to unplug electrical devices while they are using them. Installing dead air outlets, improper wiring and poor installation processes can result in hot wires and poor electricity flow. This problem can also occur if wires are not properly connected to the correct electrical outlets. There are simple solutions to the aforementioned problem such as using outlet covers or wall plugs. If these solutions do not solve your problem, it is better to seek help from a wiring professional.
– Bad Wires: A defective or bad wire is one of the most common reasons why electrical currents can be interrupted. In this case, a home or office owner should consider having new electrical wiring installed. This is much easier to do compared to repainting or buying new outlets. However, if you don’t want to spend a lot of money on an outlet replacement, you can always ask your electrician to temporarily disconnect the appliances while he or she determines the problem.
– Electrical Fires: One of the most obvious and most disastrous problems that can happen in a home or office is the presence of electrical fires. Although there are several causes of electrical fires, one of the most common is faulty wiring. Even when a wire is properly connected to the power source and protected from damage by a protective grounding system, a fire can still happen. If your wires are damaged or frayed, you can always request for a fire hazard check. With this service, your electrician will determine the root cause of your electrical fire and provide you with the best possible solution to your problem, whether it’s fixing the problem or replacing your appliances.